The raw food diet has been in existence since the 1800s and has been gaining popularity in recent periods that nutrition with herbal nutrients is getting popular.
Those who support raw food think that a healthy body, a strong immune system, keeping a balanced weight and increasing the energy is important. The consumption of raw foods provides what they exactly want. However, there are also disadvantages of raw food consumption when you continuously apply it.
What is the raw food diet?
The raw food diet is based on eating completely raw and unprocessed foods. If a nutrient is not heated over 40-48 ° C, it is considered raw. Alternative preparation methods such as squeezing fruit, blending, dehydration and wetting are used instead of heat treatment.
In order to apply the raw food diet, at least 75% of your foods must consist of raw material. While many raw food diets are completely plant-based, some people consume raw eggs and milk.
These raw foods are usually consist of vegetables, fruits, fruit juices, dried fruits, nuts, seeds, sprouts, cereals, salad sauces, herbs and spices. For this reason, the amount of calories, carbohydrates, fats and proteins consumed in the Raw food diet, which is considered as a cleansing of human body, differs considerably from a typical diet. In addition,It is a diet with no processed food and refined sugar. This diet plan does not contain lactose, trans-fat or additives.
Foods that can be included in the Raw Food diet list
Raw Food Recipes
- Fresh Fruits and vegetables
- Dried fruit
- Sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds
- Unprocessed organic or natural foods
- Freshly squeezed fruits and vegetables
- Purified water
- Coconut milk
(Putting seeds and nuts for 6-12 hours before eating , the enzyme movements can be kept more alive).
Foods to avoid in the Raw Food Diet
- Cooked fruits, vegetables, meats and cereals
- Cooked items
- Roasted hazelnut and seeds
- Refined Oils
- Table salt
- Refined sugars and flour
- Pasteurized fruit juices and dairy products
- Coffee and tea
- Other processed foods and snacks
- When the water is not drinkable during meals; Tea has to be warm and decaf.
How is the protein requirement of Raw Food diet met?
As a result of the studies, nutrition emphasizes that the presence of 10% protein is sufficient.Hazelnut and other fatty seeds, cereals, dried beans are the sources of high quality herbal protein. Due to the lack of heat treatment of food, it is possible to take more advantage of the protein in its content.
How is the Calcium need for the diet to be met?
Because the consumption of dairy products is not recommended in this diet plan, calcium cannot be obtained in sufficient quantities. Instead of dairy products, high calcium-green leafy vegetables, raw sesame seeds, almonds and nuts can be eaten to meet calcium needs.
Benefits of Raw Nutrition
- Applying heat treatment; Causes the loss of enzymes and vitamins such as folic acid, vitamin C, vitamin A.
- In the Raw food diet, nutrients are not lost because they do not undergo any process, so the enzyme and vitamin values are maximizing.
- Because of its high fiber ratio, the digestive system is capable of enhancing the working function.
- acts as a periodic detox
- Helps in achieving healthy weight.
- As a result of adequate enzymes in the body; The shifting of the pH of the body to the alkaline state also allows the body to be free from toxins.
- Since there is no alcohol and caffeine consumption, it becomes suitable for healthy nutrition programs. Because the alcohol primarily causes weight problem, and great damage to the liver.
- A phytochemical with natural antibiotic properties is significantly reduced by the cooking which is bad for the body.
- A healthy sleep pattern develops with raw nutrition.
Disadvantages of raw food diet
Although raw food has many benefits in the short term, it can cause deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals in the body for the long term.
In a study after a diet of raw foods, blood cholesterol and triglycerides levels were found to be decreased. However, it has decreased HDL cholesterol levels in healthy people and has caused a deficiency of vitamin-B12 for many people.
In another study, there was a risk of increased tooth erosion in humans following the application of a raw nutrient diet for a long time. If a long-term raw food diet is applied, protein deficiency may be observed.
Vegans and Raw food?
While people who perform Raw diets do not consume food because they have to apply heat treatment, vegans prefer not to consume animal products completely. While vegans can prepare many products in steamer, bake, cookware, by frying in oil, raw food is based on the logic of raw eating, and is separated from each other in this respect.
Raw food also does not mean that animal foods will not be consumed, while animal foods such as raw fish, uncooked milk, raw eggs can be consumed in this nutritional style. However, vegans do not include animal products in nutrition programmes, including by-products such as eggs and milk.
How should we apply the Raw Food diet?
You need to start with a few simple steps and gradually increase the intake of raw food. It is an important step to start by adding salads to all dishes so that the salad helps digestion.
To save the Raw diet from stability, methods such as smoothie and juice are also available.
The long-term effect of raw nutrition should be investigated and scientific studies are underway. This diet can be accompanied by a dietician for up to 30 days.
Individuals who are not eligible for Raw Food diet?
- Pregnant or lactating women
- People at risk of osteoporosis
- Anemic individuals
Scientific articles about raw food (raw nutrition)
- 216 men and 297 women have filled out a specially developed questionnaire. Participants are divided into 5 groups according to the amount of raw food (70-79, 80-89, 90-94, 95-99 and 100%) in their diets. The relationship between the body weight and the amount of raw food consumed is evaluated. In a cross-sectional study, long-term raw food diets in different densities were applied during 3.7 years. The results were observed at the beginning of the diet regime with an average weight loss of 9.9 kg for men and 12 kg in women. Consumption of a raw food diet is associated with a loss of high body weight.
- A research conducted at the University of Washington; After the raw food diet, people’s bone mass was found to be lower.
- In a quarterly study in the European Clinical Nutrition journal, 43 people lost 9 percent of their first body weight following a raw food diet. Losing only 5 to 10 percent of your current weight in an overweight case can help to prevent some chronic diseases.